Warm-Up Day 8: Cleaning Out These PURSE-onalities!

Everything–and I do mean everything–connected with that old way of life has to go. It's rotten through and through. 
Get rid of it!   Ephesians 4:22 (The Message)
We’ve seen how fixating on other people’s weaknesses leads to accusation and contempt. When we spotlight strengths, we learn acceptance and compassion.

No Excuses for Bad Behavior
But let's be clear: the PURSE-onalities are not intended to help us gloss over bad behavior! 


It’s not okay to excuse our own weaknesses by saying,

  • “Oh, I’m a Sanguine, so I can’t help that I talk all the time!”
  • “I’m bossy because I’m a Choleric; just deal with it!”
  • “As a Melancholy, I’m naturally critical; don’t take it personally.”
  • “I can't handle conflict; I’m a Phlegmatic.”
Jesus Christ lived the strengths of all four personalities and the weaknesses of none. Our goal is to become more like Jesus, not more like our worst selves!
Time to Toss the Trash
When we give the Holy Spirit permission, he will expose our “rotten through-and-through” weaknesses. 


Once we’re aware of them, we give them over to God 
and then take on an entirely new way of life–a God-fashioned life, a life renewed from the inside and working itself into your conduct as God accurately reproduces his character in you.
Ephesians 4:23-24
I just saw that my fabulous friend Kathi Lipp is doing several funtastic give-aways for National Clean Out Your Purse Day on May 15.


And it occurred to me that The PURSE-onality Challenge is really “Clean Out Your PURSE-onality Month”!  
In May, we will daily (hourly...minutely...) ask the Holy Spirit to check our spirits (or, in my case, whack me upside the head!) whenever we complain, criticize, gossip, and/or use sarcasm. 
Each time we recognize “rotten” words, phrases, habits, tones of voice, gestures, we'll have a choice:

Cling to them, and carry around a PURSE-onality full of trash.

Toss the trash to God, making room for His new life in us.


What Will You Clean Out of Your PURSE-onality?



(If you do not see an embedded video, click here to view.)


Q4U 

Leave a comment to be entered into this week's drawing for a copy of Dangerous Surrender: What Happens When You Say "Yes" to God by Kay Warren!

  • What does Ephesians 4:22-24 say to you today?
  • What are you ready to clean out of your PURSE-onality in May?
  • What else has God laid on your heart as you've read this?


    The PURSE-onality Challenge31 days of replacing "baditude" with God's Word and Gratitude! 

    Click here for more details!





    Warm-Up Week, Day 1:  What's Wrong With It?

    Warm-Up Week, Day 2:  The Heart and Mouth Connection

    Warm-Up Week, Day 4:  Complaining vs. Problem-Solving


    Warm-Up Week, Day 6:  Fixating on Weaknesses

    Warm-Up Week, Day 7:  Spotlighting Strengths

    Join Women Living Well for 5 Weeks 5 Disciplines 5 Challenges!